Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Who Killed Karen Silkwood?

Why do I do what I do?  Resale, antiques, and collectibles help to solve my desire for continuous learning, treasure hunting, and mystery solving.  For example, the batch of vintage 1970’s and 1980’s pinbacks I found in a tin purchased at an estate auction a few years ago.  I had great fun exploring the different pins, imagining the anti-nuke activists, and then I had to find out who Karen Silkwood was.

Silkwood died in 1974 in a mysterious single-car crash, shortly after finding her person and home were contaminated by plutonium exposure.  She had worked for Kerr-McGee and became a labor union activist with nuclear safety concerns. 


Silkwood’s story was featured in a 1983 movie starring Meryl Streep that I now have on my “must watch” list.  Yes, I enjoy what I am doing, though it is not always very profitable work.  I now know the story of Karen Silkwood.  How did I miss that growing up?

No comments: