Sunday, November 1, 2009

11-01-09 Weekly Words


A new month and a new weekly theme! My God is the most important thing to me, so I do wish to share my Christian faith with my readers. My weakness in memorizing scripture inspired me to share with my women's group and the blogosphere. I will strive to have a weekly pretty printable Bible verse each week. Some weeks, there may not be much commentary, but I will try.


ESV Psalm 69:32 When the humble see it they will be glad; you who seek God, let your hearts revive.


This week was a trying week. Maybe I should have chose perseverance as my study topic for today, but I really needed to be "revived." I want to reflect God's love and the joy it brings to me, and I have found myself wallowing in grief and mixed with some self pity. I'm sure many can relate to my week. A death of a friend, tragedy, personal physical issues, ill loved ones, worries about children... The problems on the laundry list of things that I let rob me of joy sometimes seem to happen all at once!


On to the verse...When you read the first part of the passage, "When the humble see it," the first question that popped into my mind was 'what is 'it'?" The psalmist David explained in the earlier verses:

Psalm 69:29 But I am afflicted and in pain; let your salvation, O God, set me on high!

Psalm 69:30 I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving.


Praise and thanksgiving! David said these will please the Lord more than sacrifices! The song of praise and thanksgiving that David wrote will please the Lord and make those that see it glad!


The second part of verse 32 has a bit more to explore as well. The description of "you who seek God" is a clear definition of all of us in the body of Christ. I do like rather like that description.


"Let your hearts revive," is my favorite part of the passage. The Hebrew root of the word for revive translated means to give life, quicken, repair or restore. That's just what I need, to be restored.


As always, God has shared the secret to restoring my joy. Without doubt, I am certain that sharing my praise and thanksgiving will please God, make my fellow Christians glad, and repair my heart.


The weekly challenge for all that read this is:


1. Commit to memory psalm 69:32.

2. Take your list of woes and find reasons to offer God praise and thanksgiving! For example, I have been worried about my daughter's case of H1N1, but the illness has afforded her some well deserved rest time and God has seen her through each day!

3. Share your praise and Thanksgiving to God with others, so that they may be glad!

No comments: